Although we live in one of the most affluent and community minded areas in our country, there are children who go to bed hungry, adults who struggle to read, and cancer patients who lack transportation to get to their treatments. Within just a few miles of our homes, there are a multitude of significant unmet needs that require our attention. Impact100 Essex offers a powerful opportunity to raise awareness, to advance innovative models, and to support local nonprofits in addressing our community’s most pressing needs. We want to encourage local organizations to dream bigger than they ever imagined and to succeed.
- To engage the women of Essex County's diverse communities in collective giving
- To provide transformative grants to organizations that reach under-served populations in Essex County
- To empower organizations to succeed in their mission and achieve something truly remarkable
Impact100 began in 2001 with a simple but effective concept: to engage women in the power of collective giving to fund transformative grants to local nonprofits seeking to broaden or deepen their programs.
- Forty affiliates, already at work in the United States and abroad, have given away more than $45 million since 2001.
- In New Jersey, Impact100 Garden State, which serves Morris, Sussex, Somerset and Passaic counties, this year will have distributed ten grants totally over $1 million since they began in 2013.
- Impact100 Jersey Coast met its goal for 100 members in 11 months, distributed a high-impact grant of $144,000 in 2016, and has just announced 244 members for its 2017 grant making cycle.
- Both New Jersey Impact groups partner with the Community Foundation of New Jersey for technical and administrative support.
How it Works
- 100 women make a one year pledge of $1000.
- After a careful and thorough grant review process, and presentations by finalists, members vote to award a $100,000 grant to a local non-profit organization or program.
- Impact100 Essex is an all-volunteer philanthropic organization. The grants we award are funded by member donations. Because no expenses are deducted from member dollars, we welcome the contributions of friends, sponsors and others. Your support can offset our operating costs, including insurance, website hosting, printing, and mailing. Impact100 Essex is a special project of the Community Foundation of New Jersey, a 501(c)(3) organization which provides technical and administrative support.
I am convinced that the women of the world, united without any regard for national or racial dimensions, can become a most powerful force for international peace and brotherhood.
Coretta Scott King